Suspect in slaying of Officer Rocha identified as Richard James Rotter
EVERETT, Wash., March 26, 2022 – According to Snohomish County records, a person named Richard James Rotter was arrested for the murder of Everett Police Officer Dan Rocha.
Rotter led a two-and-a-half-mile chase hitting multiple vehicles in an attempt to elude police. He was eventually apprehended at 35th and Rucker in Everett fifteen minutes following the brutal slaying of Officer Rocha.
Rotter has a long criminal history dating back to at least 2004 and is now facing additional charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, Murder 1 [Police Officer – Gun] and Murder 2 [Police Officer-Gun]. No bail has been set and is currently facing a life sentence in prison if convicted. The court date is set for 1 p.m., Sunday, March 27, 2022.
Below is some of Rotter’s extensive criminal history dating back to at least 2004:
- Driving with suspended license 3rd Degree, 2004, Yakima
- False statement to public servant, 2004, Benton
- Marijuana possession, 2007, Ritzville
- Malicious Mischief-3, 2008, Benton
- Violation of court order, 2009, Benton
- Domestic Violence Assault, 2009, Benton
- Bail Jumping, 2009, Benton
- Reckless Driving, 2009, Benton
- False Reporting 2nd Degree, 2010, Benton
- Resisting Arrest, 2010, Benton
- DUI, 2010, Benton
- Obstructing Public Servant, 2010, Benton
- Driving with suspended license 3rd Degree, 2010, Benton
- Reckless Driving, 2010, Benton
- Possession of Control Substance, 2010, Benton
- Possession of Control Substance, 2012, Franklin
- Driving with suspended license 1st Degree, 2012, Benton
- Possession of Control Substance, 2012, Benton
- Bail Jumping, 2013, Benton
- Attempt to Elude Police Vehicle, 2013, Franklin
- Hit and Run Attended Vehicle, 2019, Benton
- Driving with suspended license 1st Degree, 2019, Benton
According to a Facebook page with the same name and picture of Richard James Rotter, it states that he got married in March of 2021 and has links to various substance recovery groups and pages.
Back in 2016, Rotter led Kennewick police on a wild and dangerous vehicle chase just after midnight the morning of Friday, February 26. He sped southbound on Washington street without using his headlights. Rotter was wanted for several outstanding warrants at the time.
On March 17, 2019, Rotter was apprehended by a Franklin County Deputy after attempting to elude the officer. During his arrest, the officer discovered that Rotter was wanted by the Washington State Department of Corrections and the US Marshal Pacific Northwest Violent Offender Task Force for an escape warrant from Community Custody for the possession of controlled substances. During his initial arrest attempt a week earlier, he struck the vehicle driven by one of the Task Force members.
4 thoughts on “Suspect in slaying of Officer Rocha identified as Richard James Rotter”
Pingback: Guilty verdict in the murder Everett Police Officer Dan Rocha - Lynnwood Times
Pingback: Officer Dan Rocha honored in congressional committee hearing - Lynnwood Times
Pingback: SPONSORED 36 minutes ago Prolific offender arrested following fatal shooting of Everett police officer Police arrested 50-year-old Richard James Rott… – Indie Media
Pingback: Prolific offender arrested following fatal shooting of Everett police officer – LibertyWire