FeaturedLatest NewsNews

Newly sold Bothell home explodes in suspected gas leak fire

BOTHELL, Wash., December 1, 2023—A newly sold home in Bothell exploded on November 29 from a suspected gas leak. The magnitude of the explosion was so fierce it blasted the garage door clear across the street, damaging nearby homes and leaving the structure in shambles.

Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue believes the cause to be a gas leak although nothing has been confirmed yet. The house, located at 25th Drive Southeast, was just sold two days ago to new owners who were out running errands when the explosion occurred around 9 a.m. Wednesday morning.

The gas leak is believed to have happened in the garage.

Bothell gas leak
Image of Bothell home that exploded do to a suspect gas leak according to Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue. SOURCE: Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue.

Peter Mongillo, Communications officer for Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue, told reporters that if the new homeowners had been home there likely would have been deadly consequences, however, there were no injuries.

Regional Fire responded to a surplus of 911 calls Wednesday from neighbors who had “heard and felt” the blast from a “long distance away.”

Close neighbors had their home’s windows shattered, roofs and walls compromised, and left feeling shook.

Bothell gas leak
Image of neighbor’s home adjacent to the explosion. SOURCE: Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue.

Others in the area and beyond are left in fear of the power of gas leaks. Snohomish Regional Fire urges homeowners to have proper fire detectors and carbon monoxide readers installed in their house. Additionally if you smell gas leave the house immediately and move to a location at least 300 feet away.

The explosion is currently being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.


EDITOR’S NOTE: Photos courtesy of Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *